- Ph.D., (2002), Materials, Pennsylvania State University
- M.S., (1999), Electrical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University
- Energy harvesting
- Sensors and Actuators
- Smart materials and structures
- Multifunctional composites
- Piezoelectric mechanical energy harvesting
- Pyroelectric thermal energy harvesting
- Piezoelectric cryogenic actuators
- Aeroelastically Tailored Laminar Flow Wing
- Plasma Actuators
- Other projects: 1) synthetic jet actuators, 2) pressure distribution sensors, 3) multifunctional nano composites: carbon-carbon nano tube (CNT) super-nano composites; 4) hybrid actuators, and 5) electroactive polymer and devices.
(Selected from more than 50 peer-reviewed journal papers)
- Tian-Bing Xu*, Emilie J. Siochi, Jin Ho Kang, Lei Zuo, Wanlu Zhou, Xiudong Tang, and Xiaoning Jiang “Energy Harvesting using a PZT Ceramic Multilayer Stack,” Smart Materials and Structures 22, 065015,2013.
- Tian-Bing Xu*, Laura Tolliver, Xiaoning Jiang, and Ji Su, “A Single Crystal Lead Magnesium Niobate-Lead Titanate Multilayer-stacked Cryogenic Flextensional Actuator,” Applied Physics Letters, 102, 042906 (2013).
- Laura Tolliver, Tian-Bing Xu, Xiaoning Jiang, “Finite element analysis of the piezoelectric stacked-HYBATS transducer,” Smart Materials and Structures,22, 035015 (2013).
- Tian-Bing Xu*, Xiaoning Jiang, and Ji Su, “A Piezoelectric Ceramic Multilayer-Stacked Hybrid Actuation/Transduction System” Applied Physics Letters 98 (24), 243503, 2011.
- Yi Lin, Tiffany Williams, Tian-Bing Xu, Wei Cao, Hani Elsayled-Ali, and John Connell, “Aqueous Dispersions of Few- and Mono-Layered Hexagonal Boron Nitride Nanosheets from Sonication-Assisted Hydrolysis: Critical Role of Water,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 115(6), pp 2679–2685, 2011.
- Tian-Bing Xu*, Nelson Guerreiro, James Hubbard, Jin Ho Kang, Cheol Park, and Joycelyn Harrison, “One-Dimensional Contact Mode Interdigitated Center of Pressure Sensor,” Applied Physics Letters 94, 233503, 2009.
- Tian-Bing Xu*, and Ji Su, “Development, Characterization, and Theoretical Evaluation of Electroactive Polymer-based Micropump Diaphragm,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 121, pp. 267-274, 2005.
- Tian-Bing Xu*, and Ji Su, “Design, Modeling, Fabrication, and Performance of Bridge-Type High-Performance Electroactive Polymer Micromachined Actuators,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 14 (No. 3), pp. 539-547, 2005.
- Tian-Bing Xu, and Ji Su, “Theoretical Modeling on Electroactive Polymer-Ceramic Hybrid Actuation Systems,” Journal of Applied Physics 97(3), 034908, 2005.
- Ji Su, Tian-Bing Xu, Shujun, Zhang, Thomas Shrourt, and QiMing Zhang, “An electroactive polymer-ceramic hybrid actuator systems for enhanced electromechanical performance,” Applied Physics Letters 85(6), pp. 1045-1047, 2004.
Selected Issued and Pending Patents
- Tian-Bing Xu, Xiaoning Jiang, and Ji Su, “Piezoelectric Multilayer-Stacked Hybrid Actuation/Transduction Systems,” U.S. patent 8,680,749, March 2014.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Ji Su, and Xiaoning Jiang, “Advanced Modified High Performance Synthetic Jet Actuator with Optimized Curvature Shape Chamber,” U.S. Patent 8,662,412, March 2014.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Xiaoning Jiang, and Ji Su, “Advanced High Performance Horizontal Piezoelectric Hybrid Synthetic Jet Actuator,” U.S. patent 8,235,309 B2, August 2012.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Xiaoning Jiang, and Ji Su, “Advanced High Performance Vertical Hybrid Synthetic Jet Actuator,” U.S. patent8,052,069, November 8, 2011.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Xiaoning Jiang, Ji Su, Paul W. Rehrig, and Wesley S. Hackenberger, “Hybrid Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting Transducer System,” U.S. Patent 7,446,459 B2, November 2008.
- Ji Su, and Tian-Bing Xu, “Hybrid Electromechanical Actuator and Actuation System,” U.S. Patent 7,394,181 B2, July 2008.Tian-Bing Xu, Emilie J. Siochi, Lei Zuo, Xiaoning Jiang, and Jin Ho Kang, “Multistage Force Amplification of Piezoelectric Stacks” U.S. Patent Publication # 2012/0119620, May 17, 2012
- Tian-Bing Xu, Jin Ho Kang, Emilie J. Siochi, and Glen King, “Pyroelectric Sandwich Thermal Energy Harvester,” U.S. provisional patent application 62/061,878, 10/9/2014.
- Godfrey Sauti, Tian-Bing Xu, Emilie J. Siochi, Stephen Wilkinson, Mary Ann Meador, and Haiquan Guo, “Enhanced Dielectric Barrier Discharge Body Force Generation Using Nano-Foam with Infused Catalytic Layer,” U.S. non-provisional patent application 14/287,372, 5/27/2014.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Emilie J. Siochi, Xiaoning Jiang, and Wesley S. Hackenberger, “Secondary Amplification of Multiple Flextensional Actuation/Transduction System (SAMFATS),” U.S. and international provisional patent application # 61/414/803, filed on 11/17/2010
- Tian-Bing Xu, Emilie J. Siochi, and Jin Ho, Kang, Xiaoning Jiang, “Multistage Force Amplification of Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting Transducer (MFAPEHT)”U.S. and international provisional patent application # 61/414,815, filed on 11/17/2010.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Emilie J. Siochi, and Jin Ho, Kang, Xiaoning Jiang, “Multistage Force Amplification of Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting Transducer (MFAPEHT),”U.S. and international provisional patent application # 61/324,445, filed on 4/15/2010.
- Tian-Bing Xu, Emilie J. Siochi, Xiaoning Jiang, Lei Zuo, and Jin Ho Kang, “Relaxor Piezoelectric Single Crystal Multilayer Stacks for Energy Harvesting Transducers (RPSEHT),” U.S. and international provisionalpatent application # 61/414/807, filedon 11/17/2010
- Ji Su, Tian-Bing Xu, and Ane Caprio, “Supra-nano-structured polymer-carbon composites for improved thermal stability and multifunctionality and the process,” U.S. and international provisional patent application # 60/939,161, filed on 5/21/2007.
- Xiaoning Jiang, Tian-Bing Xu, Ji Su, and Paul Rehring, “Advanced Electroactive Single Crystal and Polymer Actuator for Cryogenic Actuation,” U.S. and international provisional patent application # 60/872,915, filed on 12/5/06.
Dr. Xu has received 32 awards and recognitions including the Winner of the 2011 Best Technology Development of Energy Harvesting presented by IDTechEX